Posted in: Travel/Ride Sharing in France | Posted: |
Trekking in the Dolpo region of Nepal helps you to witness the grandeur of the rugged, far-west of Nepal. Dolpo is neighboring Tibet, where the culture and much of the landscape are reminiscent of its northern neighbor. The west portion of the district is home to the She-Phoksundo National Park, the largest in Nepal.
West Nepal is also undeveloped and very poor, as well as being remote. In much of Nepal, tourism infrastructure in Dolpo isn't what it is, and camping and carrying your food supplies are necessary. Permissions are costly, and in Upper Dolpo, you can not trek independently.
But the deep valleys, high passes and mountains, the turquoise Phoksundo Lake, the 800-year-old Shey Monastery and a few rare wildlife — including the elusive snow leopard — reward intrepid trekkers who visit here.
Trekking in the far west Upper Dolpo region of Nepal brings you into one of the Himalayan's most remote areas. Expeditions to Dolpo can be challenging because there is almost no tourism infrastructure, so organized tours are essential. But the rewards have been worthwhile: Tibetan Buddhism, the beautiful Phoksundo lake, unique wildlife, and the real feeling of living in the wilderness.
Upper Dolpo Trek: Highlights
- Trek through parts of Nepal, which few visitors have ever seen.
- Keep an eye out for snow leopards at Shey Phoksundo National Park, one of the world's largest concentrations of wildlife.
- Gaze over Lake Phoksundo's turquoise waters.
- Visit Shey Gompa, an 800-year-old monastery at the base of Crystal Mountain immortalized in "The Snow Leopard" by Peter Matthiessen.
- Witness the yarchagumba spring hunt — a strange caterpillar fungus commonly sought after for its medicinal qualities.
See more at https://www.himalayanexploration.com/tours/upper-dolpo-trek/
- Premium ad
Moving house to Europe is one of the most stressful times in a person’s life. The upheaval involved can have an impact on not only you, but everybody in your family. If ever there was a time when somebody needed all the help they can get, it’s when they’re moving house. Thankfully, help is at hand.…